Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25, 1979 (Saturday)

From running log:
No entry, day off. However, on this date in 1979 the song "My Sharona" by The Knack hit #1 on the Billboard charts. It was the first time in over a year that a song hit #1 that was neither a disco song nor a sappy love ballad. Of course, that does not diminish the fact that both the song and the group were awful. It was only a few months later that The Clash ridiculed The Knack with the lyric "phony Beatle-mania has bitten the dust" in their fantastic tune "London Calling".

30 years later:
I was just plain tired after the first week of cross country practice, with the significant increase in mileage and intensity, so I needed a day off.

I remember the "Disco Sucks" wars of the late 70s, culminating in the infamous Disco Demolition night at Comiskey Park in Chicago in July 1979. In those days, I was firmly in the Disco Sucks camp (even though I had happily danced away to the Bee Gees and other empty dance bands at "Devi-Disco" only a couple years earlier. Ah, the folly of youth). Perhaps influenced by teammate Todd Crary, I had recently stacked my record collection with Led Zeppelin , Ted Nugent, and Def Leppard vinyl and memorized most of the songs, imitating Robert Plant's raspy wail as best I could. I'm sure my parents and sisters were rolling their eyes from other rooms in the house. These days my tastes are much broader, although I can't say I'm inclined to listen much to anything that is misogynistic or racist, or advocating violence, or twangy-sounding-good-old-boy-red-neck country music. But I've got just about everything else on my eclectic playlist.

2 comments:

  1. Musical taste or lack of it did cause some contention on the team...Chris Kelly was a staple at "Devi Disco" with his "Sweet Moves", and when Crary called the Rolling Stones a "Country Band" after "Some Girls" came out, it was a tough pill to swallow! I do remember a road trip or two that season with a "Boom box" in the back of the bus singing along very loud and obnoxiously to "My Sharona". It should also be noted that at around this same time period, members of the team began tinkering with the idea of forming a band, the infamous "Burnt Toast!" More of that story later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right you are. The Burnt Toast story is right around the next bend ...

    ReplyDelete