Friday, October 2, 2009

October 2, 1979 (Tuesday)

From running log:
Cross country practice. Ran 1 mile warmup, 8 mile workout, 0.4 mile cooldown (9.4 miles total), road LSD up past the hospital and on County Hwy A. Warmer and sunny, 72F, but the air was full of little annoying gnats. Clouds of bugs everywhere, so bad that it made it hard to breathe. I finally had a decent run, and I really pushed it. I think Crary may be breaking out of his slump too. I got a lot of rest last night, it helped. It's important.

30 years later:
Have you ever been subjected to running through clouds of little flying bugs? I don't recommend it. I'm no insectologist, but there must be some reason that a sudden warm and sunny day in the early autumn, following upon a week of cold, wet weather, brings out one last swarm of no-see-ums. It's like their final, huge party to end the summer that just went by too quickly for all of the little monsters.

When the air is thick with bugs, you spend the entire run with your eyes squinted nearly shut, and your mouth open only a bit so as not to augment your diet (or litter your lungs) with fresh bug meat. The hungry little devils swarm around you, attaching themselves to every little hair on your body, gleefully drowning in your sweat or dive bombing in a final blaze of glory into your clothing. For them, it is the final orgy of their short lives; for you, it's an itchy, annoying, sputtering, eye-rubbing frustration.

From my log, you can see that despite my addled adolescent mind, I was able somehow to figure out that what I needed was some rest, some real sleep. What's cool about it is that it could be so effective in just a couple of days. Ah, how I long for those days, when yesterday's problems could so quickly seem so far away. Maybe we do have a thing or two to learn from our younger selves. Yesterday? You mean the day before today? Man, that was so long ago ...

No comments:

Post a Comment