Monday, October 12, 2009

October 9, 1979 (Tuesday)

From running log:
Cross country RACE. Royall Invitational in Elroy, Wisconsin. 1 mile warmup, 3 mile race, 0.3 cooldown (4.3 miles total). Cool, windy, 49F. I ran 16:03 for 3 miles - the best time in the SCC conference so far this year. I finished in 3rd place and got a medal. The team finished 3rd, not as good as I thought we could. Everyone ran well though, especially Ben and Chris. McGann finally broke 17:00. I finished 3rd because of a hill in the final 500 yards, I just couldn't run up that thing after going out too fast earlier in the race. I beat Boehm again, but damn he's tough, (probably my biggest competition for the conference meet). We have another meet in Tomah on Thursday, I need another good race and fast time. Tomah is where the conference meet is going to be held.

30 years later:
We were running against unfamiliar competition in Elroy. Of the other teams there, only Mauston (with my new arch rival Jim Boehm) was a team that we had faced before. If memory serves me correctly, this is the meet at which the organizers, equally unfamiliar with us, masacred our names badly at the awards ceremony. I think they announced me as "Pug Hegsery", which would stick as a way to tease me in the hallways of BHS from that point onward. And they also murdered other names ... if you remember how, please post a comment below.

The team was continuing to improve and run well. Having Moose break 17 minutes was fantastic, and having Ben and Chris continue to get stronger and faster was a huge boost for our chances at the conference meet. We were all on the right track, all we needed to do was remain focused and committed.

Article from the BNR sports pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment